A.H. Tammsaare
PDF

Biography

 

Anton Hansen was born to Tammsaare- Põhja (Northern) farm in the Vetepere hamlet on 30th of January 1878 as the fourth child of Peeter and Ann Hansen.

In 1886 Anton started with his studies in the Sääsküla parish school.
In 1888 he continued with the studies in Prümli parish school.

From 1892 to 1894 and from 1896-1897 Anton Hansen studied in Väike-Maarja school. From 1898 to 1903 he studied in the Gymnasium of Hugo Trefner in Tartu. Since 1907 Anton Hansen studied in the University of Tartu which he was unable to graduate because of his tuberculosis.

From 1912 to 1913 Anton Hansen cured his illness in Caucasus in the Estonian colony Punane Lageda (Krasnaja Poljana). From 1914 to 1919 Anton Hansen lived at his brother's Jüri in Koitjärve.

On the 13th of March 1920 Anton Hansen married with Käthe-Amalie Veltman. 
The couple resided in Tallinn.

On the 30th of August 1936 a monument dedicated to A.H. Tammsaare was opened in Järva-Madise.

The writer died on the 1st of March 1940 at his desk.           

 

Oeuvre

 

A selection of A.H. Tammsaare's best known works

1908 Long Steps (Pikad sammud)
1910 Over The Border (Üle piiri)
1909 Young Spirits (Noored hinged)
1917 The Fly (Kärbes)
1921 Judith (Juudit)
1922 The Master of the Kõrboja (Kõrboja peremees)
1926-1933 Truth and Justice (Tõde ja õigus)
1934 The Life and the Love (Elu ja armastus)
1935 I Loved a German (Ma armastasin sakslast)
1939 The Misadventures of The New Satan (Põrgupõhja uus vanapagan)

 

Home farm

 

Anton Hansen, the future writer to be, was born to Tammsaare-Põhja farm in the Vetepere hamlet on 30th of
January 1878 as the fourth child of Peeter and Ann Hansen.

The first few decades of Anton Hansen's life were tightly connected with his birth farm.
Anton Hansen even used the name of the farm as his pseudonym. 
Tammsaare has described the local people and landscape in his writings.

After the publication of the first part of Truth and Justice in 1926 many people started visiting the area. 

Officially the museum for A.H. Tammsaare was opened on 30th January 1958 in the house which was built by the writer's brother August. 
Until 1972 the exposition was located only on the second floor of the house.

In 1978 on the 29th of January, in order to commemorate the 100th birthday of A.H. Tammsaare, 
a set of reconstructed buildings was opened. Replicas of former barn-dwelling, barn, crofters dwellings, and fences 
were built. Also, hiking trails in the bogs surrounding the farm, were created.

In the 4th of December 2002 a foundation for The Museum of A.H. Tammsaare in Vargamäe was created.

There is another museum dedicated to A. H. Tammsaare in Tallinn in his former apartment in the Kadriorg district.
One can find more information about it on

 

http://www.linnamuuseum.ee/tammsaare/

Sitemap